What is an Email Newsletter?
- An electronic communication via email pushing information to your current contact/client list.
- May contain specials, sales, promotions and other calls to action.
- You are reminding your base that you have valuable products, services and information.
- Should be part of your online strategy and may assist your social media campaigns.
What is a Blog?
- An electronic communication connected to your website that pulls traffic through online searches for information.
- Typically not a sales pitch - more informational: tips, opinions, experiences, product reviews, and more.
- May be used as an easy way to keep your website content fresh, dynamic and up to date.
Because people on your email marketing list are (hopefully) interested in your products and services, they may not go to the blog regularly but you are still feeding them important information through the newsletter. On the flip side, people who may not be aware of your products or services may happen upon your blog if you are writing with an awareness of search engines.
So I have to write a blog for Google?
Never write a blog just for search. Write for your customers but at the same time don't ignore some key strategies that will help you with search.
- Use keywords
- Find out what people are searching for
- Write a great headline
- Keep it interesting
I liked this article on writing a guest blog writing - many of the tips are relevant to writing for your own blog. Or you can hire a copywriter [Wize Communications] to help you produce content for both a newsletter and blog.
Your goals may not include increasing your web traffic. I have a lot of clients who use their website for credibility for referrals instead of appealing to a wider audience. That doesn't mean you couldn't capitalize on a blog. A blog can also add to your credibility by establishing you as an expert in your field and remember, you are still providing valuable information to your clients.